Article XV Mortgagee Provisions
The following provisions are for the benefit of holders, insurers and guarantors of first Mortgages on Units in the Properties. The provisions of this Article apply to both this Declaration and to the By-Laws, notwithstanding any other provisions contained therein.
15.1. Notices of Action. An institutional holder, insurer, or guarantor of a first Mortgage which provides a written request to the Association (such request to state the name and address of such holder, insurer, or guarantor and the street address of the Unit to which its Mortgage relates, thereby becoming an "Eligible Holder"), will be entitled to timely written notice of:
- Any condemnation loss or any casualty loss which affects a material portion of the Properties or which affects any Unit on which there is a first Mortgage held, insured, or guaranteed by such Eligible Holder;
- Any delinquency in the payment of assessments or charges owed by a Unit subject to the Mortgage of such Eligible Holder, where such delinquency has continued for a period of 60 days, or any other violation of the Governing Documents relating to such Unit or the Owner or Occupant which is not cured within 60 days;
- Any lapse, cancellation, or material modification of any insurance policy maintained by the Association; or
- Any proposed action which would require the consent of a specified percentage of Eligible Holders.
15.2. Special FHLMC Provision. So long as required by the Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation or any successor to FHLMC, the following provisions apply in addition to and not in lieu of the foregoing. Unless at least 67% of the first Mortgagees or Members representing at least 67% of the total Association vote consent, the Association shall not:
- By act or omission seek to abandon, partition, subdivide, encumber, sell, or transfer all or any portion of the real property comprising the Common Area which the Association owns, directly or indirectly (the granting of easements for utilities or other similar purposes consistent with the intended use of the Common Area shall not be deemed a transfer within the meaning of this subsection);
- Change the method of determining the obligations, assessments, dues, or other charges which may be levied against an Owner of a Unit (a decision, including contracts, by the Board or provisions of any declaration subsequently Recorded on any portion of the Properties shall not be subject to this provision where such decision or subsequent declaration is otherwise authorized by this Declaration);
- By act or omission change, waive, or abandon any scheme of regulations or enforcement pertaining to architectural design, exterior appearance or maintenance of Units and the Common Area (the issuance and amendment of architectural standards, Use Restrictions pursuant to Article III, procedures, or Rules and Regulations shall not constitute a change, waiver, or abandonment within the meaning of this provision);
- Fail to maintain insurance, as required by this Declaration; or
- Use hazard insurance proceeds for any Common Area losses for other than the repair, replacement, or reconstruction of such property.
First Mortgagees may, jointly or singly, pay taxes or other charges which are in default and which may or have become a charge against the Common Area and may pay overdue premiums on casualty insurance policies or secure new casualty insurance coverage upon the lapse of an Association policy, and first Mortgagees making such payments shall be entitled to immediate reimbursement from the Association.
15.3. Other Provisions for First Lien Holders. To the extent not inconsistent with Washington law:
- Any restoration or repair of the Properties after a partial condemnation or damage due to an insurable hazard shall be performed substantially in accordance with this Declaration and the original plans and specifications unless the approval is obtained of the Eligible Holders of first Mortgages on Units to which at least 51% of the votes of Units subject to Mortgages held by such Eligible Holders are allocated.
- Any election to terminate the Association after substantial destruction or a substantial taking in condemnation shall require the approval of the Eligible Holders of first Mortgages on Units to which at least 51% of the votes of Units subject to Mortgages held by such Eligible Holders are allocated.
15.4. Amendments to Documents. The following provisions do not apply to amendments to the constituent documents or termination of the Association as a result of destruction, damage, or condemnation pursuant to Section 15.3(a) and (b), or to the addition of land in accordance with Article IX.
- The consent of Members representing at least 67% of the Class "A" votes and of Declarant, so long as Declarant owns any land subject to this Declaration, and the approval of the Eligible Holders of first Mortgages on Units to which at least 67% of the votes of Units subject to a Mortgage appertain, shall be required to terminate the Association.
- The consent of Members representing at least 67% of the Class "A" votes and of Declarant, so long as Declarant owns any land subject to this Declaration, and the approval of Eligible Holders of first Mortgages on Units to which at least 51% of the votes of Units subject to a Mortgage appertain, shall be required materially to amend any provisions of the Declaration, By-Laws, or Articles of Incorporation, or to add any material provisions thereto which establish, provide for, govern, or regulate any of the following:
- assessments, assessment liens, or subordination of such liens;
- reserves for maintenance, repair, and replacement of the Common Area
- insurance or fidelity bonds;
- rights to use the Common Area;
- responsibility for maintenance and repair of the Properties;
- expansion or contraction of the Properties or the addition, annexation, or withdrawal of Properties to or from the Association;
- boundaries of any Unit;
- leasing of Units;
- imposition of any right of first refusal or similar restriction of the right of any Owner to sell, transfer, or otherwise convey his or her Unit;
- establishment of self-management by the Association where professional management has been required by an Eligible Holder; or
- any provisions included in the Governing Documents which are for the express benefit of holders, guarantors, or insurers of first Mortgages on Units.
15.5. No Priority. No provision of this Declaration or the By-Laws gives or shall be construed as giving any Owner or other party priority over any rights of the first Mortgagee of any Unit in the case of distribution to such Owner of insurance proceeds or condemnation awards for losses to or a taking of the Common Area.
15.6. Notice to Association. Upon request, each Owner shall be obligated to furnish to the Association the name and address of the holder of any Mortgage encumbering such Owner's Unit.
15.7. Failure of Mortgagee To Respond. Any Mortgagee who receives a written request from the Board to respond to or consent to any action shall be deemed to have approved such action if the Association does not receive a written response from the Mortgagee within 30 days of the date of the Association's request, provided such request is delivered to the Mortgagee by certified or registered mail, return receipt requested.
15.8. Construction of Article XV. Nothing contained in this Article shall be construed to reduce the percentage vote that must otherwise be obtained under this Declaration, the By-Laws, or Washington law for any of the acts set out in this Article.
15.9. Amendment by Board. Should the Federal National Mortgage Association or FHLMC subsequently delete any of its respective requirements which necessitate the provisions of this Article or make any such requirements less stringent, the Board, without approval of the Owners, may record an amendment to this Article to reflect such changes.